Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5th 2010

Hi everyone,

Just a quick reminder of what we did today.

  1. We used the coursebook to get some more practicce with part 1 of the reading comprehension. And we also discussed the different aspects of vocabulary for each of the words omitted: collocation, phrasal verbs, lexical precision, parts of speech etc.
  2. We then reviewed the Use of English homework from test 1 in the coursebook.
  3. We did the first two parts of the listening comprehension - test 1 in the coursebook.
  4. We then worked on the second part of the writing paper. We paid careful attention to the details of the question and then looked at and assessed a sample answer. Your homework was to write a review of your own. The task was to review a film set in your own country and assess how effectively the film reflected different aspects of life and attitudes in the country where it was set. It is important to include all these points in the answer. Your homework was to write your own review in response to the task.
  5. Finally we focussed on part 3 of the speaking paper. Before looking at the task we did some "just a minute" practice, connecting two words, chosen at random, from a sheet.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx 4 posting roger.

    by the way, I have a couple of questions about the Use of English part 4 we corrected on Tuesday:

    32.-
    My answer: ARE UNDER NO NEED TO ATTEND
    The correct answer: ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ATTEND

    36.-
    My answer: SOME INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS MIGHT BE SUBJECT TO
    The correct answer: SOME INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS ARE/WILL BE SUBJECT TO

    Could you please give me a brief explanation about these errors, or otherwise we'll talk about it in class tomorrow.

    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can help you with the second one: 'subject to' implies being liable or prone to that situation... so 'might' would be redundant! ('cause it would repeat the same idea).

    I'm not sure if I've made my point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you laura. actually I think I can answer myself regarding the first question: in the original sentence the word OBLIGATORY is used so it makes sense that OBLIGATION is used instead of NEED when writing the answer.

    Ignasi

    ReplyDelete